Saturday, April 10, 2010

SeRiOusLy uNhiDeous

 I was asked to crochet this hat, The Slouchy Beret, from The Crochet Dudes aka. Drew Emborsky's  adult hat pattern booklet, called " In All Caps", for the store Stitch Therapy. A new yarn came in, and making the hat will provide a nice showcase for the hat and the new yarn.  The materials I used were the Berroco's Weekend yarn, which is 75% Acryllic, and 25% peruvian cotton, using a size G Hook.   

I enjoy crochet.  It is interesting to me that many people don't share the passion for both knitting and crochet.  Most people I know either knit or crochet, but not many do both.  Or at least both with the same enthusiasm.  I may knit more, but that is simply because crochet has an abundance of hideous patterns.  That is not to say that knitting doesn't run the gamete of its share of ugly ass patterns, but it seems that crochet has knitting beat in that department.  But then every so often I will come across something crochet wise that strikes my fancy, and this little booklet of crochet adult hats was one of those things. As of late though, it seems that while crochet is still under represented there are more and more beautiful patterns in the crochet fabric than ever before.  This Crochet Dude guy has a pattern booklet due to come out from Leisure Arts, called Crochet It. Love It. Wear It! (Leisure Arts #5058) which features some lovely designs for women.  I've already pre-ordered my copy.  And while crochet I felt had been limited to afghans, and scarfs and a few hats, it is nice to see pretty sweaters, and even a cute dress that I would crochet to wear if I didn't have the body of a baby rhino.  Be that as it may, I think this hat is gorgeous, and am thinking I might make one for myself as I am freaking adorable in it.  Oddly enough It isn't something that I would have thought that I would make for myself, but did I mention that I look so darn cute, that the hat almost demands that it be on my head?  In any case this hat will be on display like a beautiful museum artifact at Stitch Therapy. 

Ok, that may be a little much, but that is where it will be. I hope that it will inspire crocheters to want to make the hat.  While the hat may look complicated, it is quite simple. Anyone who knows how to chain, single, and double crochet can do this hat with relative ease.  And if you can read stitch instructions, this pattern reads clear, which is good, as I often need things to read as if I am a  3 year old. And not a bright 3 year old either. There have been some preliminary discussions about possibly running a workshop, where I will essentially guide one through step by step execution of this gorgeous hat. It really is fun to make, and the result quite impressive.  People will be amazed and think you are talented.  How great is that?


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful work, Kim! (And I love the pic of you!! :) ) I hope you can come knit & crochet with us again soon! We have a small group this term, but it's still fun! (And you can probably work more easily with individual students...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! You look awesome and I love your pitch on crocheting but I still suck at it! Gosh, you're like a freggin wizard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and I want to learn to crochet. I only know the basic chain stitch which is a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful work. What's a pain i can't buy this book... i'm from a little country called Moldova...forgotten by God

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts