Monday, July 5, 2010

hOw to eArn bRagginG rights


We have all experienced that parent. The one that must tell you how extraordinary and brilliant their kid is at whatever.  You know the type.  Five minutes after meeting you are held verbal hostage while they go on and on about their kid and that kid's life story, and how smart, or talented they are.  Perhaps you nod politely, or look sideways and roll your eyes.  Maybe  you are compelled to share the genius that is your offspring.  Maybe you are genuinely interested.  First, there is that parent whose kid is very verbal, and you must be made aware of it, in case you didn't notice.  Or that child that is so well coordinated that they have to take their dance classes with the older children.  True story.  This was our first meeting, and this came up within seconds of our introduction.  Not only that, but she mentioned the same thing to me twice, having either forgot she told me, or forgot who I was.  I even overheard her telling someone else.  I think that was my favorite. I think secretly all parents want to hear from their kid's teacher that they the parent of a freakin' prodigy.  I don't mind hearing all about juniors great accomplishment, but to be quite frank, 99.9% of the time, I just see an ordinary kid, just like mine.  And I have determined that there is nothing wrong with being an ordinary kid.  I consider it my responsibility to help my kid find her thing, and I don't feel the urge to share every mundane detail with everyone whom I say "nice to meet you".  We all know of at least one person, if not our self, that was skipped a grade in school, or a kid that maybe has an aptitude for sports, or art, but does it mean you should have a spot on the TODAY SHOW?   So I submit to you, what if there were a rule that in order for you to earn bragging rights, and I mean to complete strangers or very casual acquaintances, the "greatness" has to be mind blowing, say "my six year old has been taking piano for just six months and can play Chopin Minute Waltz, by memory, why yes in fact during some technical difficulties at an elementary school show, he was asked to play a tune while they get it together backstage.  Or "my baby is stil in diapers, but he can do a mean samba".  Wonder which class he takes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts