Tuesday, January 11, 2011

TWO-TIMER










I've decided to give this Magic Loop thing some serious attention.  I've decided that this is yet another technique that requires my mastery.  And why?  Well, because it is practical.  I have put off making mittens, gloves and legwarmers (which seem to have made a fashion comeback) and other such items, until said time that I have mastered Magic Loop.  Magic Looping is using one very long circular needle, as opposed to double pointed needles, which is presently the way I do it.  The benefit of Magic loop is traveling is much easier, and I would suspect you'd  worry less then you would transporting work on dpn's.  But most importantly, with Magic loop, you get to do two at a time.  So if you are going to say make mittens, gloves, sleeves, or socks, you can do the pair as opposed to dpn's which you generally do one at a time.  Long ago, in my attempt to make a pair of socks, I knit one sock.  I still have that one sock.  Never got around to making the other.  Magic loop would prevent such a travesty from happening in the future.  Then I put off jumping on the Magic Loop band wagon, because, well, I actually am quite comfortable working with dpns.  And then I further distanced myself from the whole Magic Loop experience, having convinced myself that this technique is best served by sock knitters.  I am not a sock knitter.  As you probably guessed, because I made just one useless sock.  One lonely sock.  And it wasn't for anyone in particular.  I just wanted to prove to myself that I could make socks if I wanted too.  Or in my case, a sock. But I have come to see the error of my ways.  Why Magic Loop, really is Magic!  To think that the next time I make a sweater, I could just do it Magic Loop style, as opposed to the one lonely sleeve at a time.  I could bang out mittens, legwarmers two at a time.  And so I plan to sit in on my knitting compadres Magic Loop Class.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Popular Posts