Monday, October 12, 2009

A Crawling Adventure


This Colombus Day weekend marked the first ever NYC Yarn Crawl. What this means really is just taking yourself, and/or a group of like minded yarn fiends, and going around to each yarn store that is participating in said event. Now I personally am perfectly happy to stalk yarn stores at my own leisure, without the crowds and the frenzy of such. I don't need a "yarn crawl" to be enticed to visit these stores, but I do get how this can be a fascinating event. I managed to crawl to Stitch Therapy, my local yarn store, with exciting things of their own planned for the Yarn Crawl, not to mention where I teach. During the festivities a fellow knitter buddy of mine had made an interesting remark. While she did in fact take part in the Yarn Crawl and visit some of the stores here in the city, she mentioned that it would be cool to go to a Yarn Crawl in say Philadelphia, and make a weekend of it. Yes, that I would do. Unfortunately by the time the NY shindig was planned, it was too late to mention it in the trade papers, and other knitting, crochet related publications. That of course would have invited another brand of insanity, with fanatical knitter tourists from all over. This made me think. I would love the excuse to flee my mundane existence, and travel to a far away place to lasciviously fondle yarn in different yarn stores. Each store, or so I was told was doing different things to bring the fiends out. I understand that Brooklyn General was doing music, and all the stores were involved in a raffle, which I cheerfully took part in. I've been having some luck with raffles having won 2 raffle prizes at A Get Acquainted Dinner, hosted by my daughter's school, and admittedly I could possible pee myself should I win this basket of yarn I clearly don't need. Stitch Therapy hosted a lovely book launch reading/reception, which I made with child in tow. I was super psyched for author Beth Hahn, a fellow knitting buddy, and blogger at willowrosa.blogspot.com, and the opportunity to bask in her celebrity. Beth not only a talented knitter and knitwear designer, she is also a talented writer, and painter which is showcased in her newly released, The Adventures of Miss Flitt. A 19 c. Mystery in Four parts. With watercolors and knitwear designs. To buy this book, See link: missflitt.com. I already have my copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts